About our Two Villages in One Parish

The original Morley Village Hall, was a wooden structure, built on the edge of the Village by volunteers in 1922. This can be seen in the archive photo shown here (the origin of the photo is unknown).

 

The Village Hall was set up as a Charity with a Management Committee to run the Hall, whilst two Trustees controlled the ownership of the Hall. After they passed away in the 1950’s / 60’s The Charity Commission allowed the ownership to pass to the Parish Council. The Management Committee continued to run the Village Hall, and this is still the case today.

 

In the late 1980’s / early 1990’s a land swap was organised with the help of Norfolk County Council. Wymondham Collage (a State run school) used a field on the opposite side of Golf |Links Road as a playing field. Being on the opposite side of the road to the main collage was far from convenient.

It was agreed that ownership of this field would pass to Morley Parish Council. The original Village Hall site would be sold off for development, and a grant made available, to help build a brand-new sports facility on this playing field. Derrick Daniels was instrumental in making all this happen.

 

The New Morley Village & Sports Hall was opened in 1987 by The Queen.

 

As well as the new Sports Hall, which is used by a wide variety of clubs and activity classes, the site is also home to The Morley Youth Football Club. In 2016 another grant was obtained from Sport England and South Norfolk Council and a first-class climbing wall was added at one end of the Hall.

The History of Our Village Hall

 

The original Morley Village Hall, was a wooden structure, built on, what was then, the edge of the Village by volunteers in 1929. This can be seen in the archive photo shown here (the origin of the photo is unknown).

 

The Village Hall was set up as a Charity with a Management Committee to run the Hall, whilst two Trustees controlled the ownership of the Hall. After they passed away in the 1950’s / 60’s The Charity Commission allowed the ownership to pass to the Parish Council. The Management Committee continued to run the Village Hall, and this is still the case today.

 

In 1987 a Wymondham College playing field, on the opposite side of Golf Links Road to the main campus, was sold by Norfolk County Council to Morley Parish Council for £15000. Derek Daniels was instrumental in making this happen and the playing field was opened in 1987, in his name.

 

In June 1990, the then Village Hall Trustees, decided to sell the old village hall site for use as building development land. The old wooden building was now over 60 years old and in need of major repairs.

A grant was made available, by South Norfolk Council, to help build a brand-new village/sports facility on the Derek Daniels playing field (now owned by the Morley Parish Council).

 

The New Morley Village & Sports Hall, which included changing rooms for use by Morley Youth Football Club, was opened in June 1993.

 

In 2015, when Wymondham Leisure Centre was being modernised and the climbing wall removed, another grant was obtained from Sport England and South Norfolk Council to build a new climbing wall in Morley Village & Sports Hall.

The Morley Climbing Wall, which technically is owned by Morley Parish Council, was opened by our MP (Mr George Freeman) in June 2016. The Morley Climbing Wall was initially managed by South Norfolk Climbing Club but when this closed in Dec 2019 the Morley Village & Sports Hall took over full management of the wall.